Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1 Year Old!

Wow, a year has past already.  Honestly, there have been times this past year where I wondered what I had gotten myself into.  But even though motherhood is extremely difficult at times, it is so much more rewarding than I ever thought it could be.  But enough of my reminiscing... on with the update!

Weight: 16 lbs, 14.5 oz.  So Taylor has gained almost 11 pounds in one year.  So she didn't triple her birth weight like she was supposed to, but she stayed steady on the 4th percentile growth curve so the doctor is not concerned at all.  Honestly, I'm okay with it because she's still very easy to haul around; especially on days like today when she fell asleep in my arms at Target and I had to carry her around the store.  And honestly, 17ish lbs of dead weight is heavy enough!

Height: 27 3/4 inches.  I know I said a few months ago that she was 28 inches but that's because that's what the nurse said at the time.  Taylor did not shrink though.  It's just that today we had a nurse who's normally not a peds nurse and she had an odd way of doing Taylor's height.  She had me lay Taylor down on the table and then used her pen to mark on the table where Taylor's heels were and where her head was so it was a very precise measurement compared to the estimates we'd been getting.  But I was surprised to learn that her height puts her at the 48th percentile.  So she's jumped up percentiles for height which is great.  So now instead of just being petite, we can call her a beanpole.  Her dad is too so I'm not very surprised.  But even though she's middle of the road for height, I still need to buy 9 month or 6-12 month pants for her.  12 month pants are simply too long so I'm thinking most of her height is in her torso.  Definitely got that from her dad!

Language: We have our first words!  Taylor can now say "go go go!"   This comes courtesy of my daycare provider.  Does she know what it means?  Probably not, but it is pretty much the only word she repeats back to us consistently.  Occasionally we can get her to repeat buh-bye (which comes out as buh-buh-buh) and recently she has started growling whenever Sadie or I growl at her (to clarify, Sadie growls because she's annoyed- I growl only after I preface it with "what does a lion say?").  Other than that we have lots of syllables being repeated and our new favorite thing to do in the car; scream at the top of our lungs (she's not mad- she just likes making noise).  Oh yes, she also can "shhhh" when we prompt her.  I'm very happy about that- it's good practice for when her little sister gets here.

Physical Development: Well I already posted about how she's walking everywhere.  She gets better and better every day.  And Taylor is learning to throw a ball.  It doesn't go very far, but she's getting the concept.  And Taylor loves being a helper.  This entails pulling clothes out of the laundry basket (even after they've been folded) and unloading the dishwasher.  Well, the only part of the dishwasher she unloads is the silverware.  But she pulls out the silverware and gives it to us so we can put it away.  I know she'd pull out the plates and bowls if we let her but they're heavier than the silverware and I don't want her to drop them.  Now if only we could train her to load the dishwasher!

Cognitive Development: Probably the most exciting cognitive development we've had recently is that Taylor is starting to learn to play with the shape sorters.  So far, she can put the circle into the circle hole all by herself.  The other shapes she still needs a little help on getting all of the corners in at the same time. 

I think that's a good update.  And now for the pictures which were a total fail.  We only got one picture where there's almost a smile.  Oh well....

No comments:

Post a Comment