Monday, October 3, 2011

Language, Language

Ahhh the almost 2 year old.... you really have to watch what you say around them because two year olds are like little parrots, repeating everything they hear.  Oh but don't worry...my child won't repeat what you say.  In fact she will hardly say anything at all.
I know in past Taylor updates I've mentioned how her language skills have been a bit behind.  Now she's is more than just a bit behind.  By 2 years old, toddlers should have around 50 words and should have several 2 word phrases.  I'd estimate Taylor has around 20 words.  And 2 word phrases??  The only phrases she has ever uttered are "Hey you" and "Hi Lucy" and honestly, I haven't heard those in quite some time.
I don't know if I've mentioned that we had Taylor screened by Early Intervention of Champaign County.  She came up a little behind, but not enough to qualify for services.  We were told "oh just keep talking to her, read to her, encourage her to use words, and she'll get it"  Guess what folks?  We've been doing all those things since day 1.  She has made a slight improvement from that screening in June but nowhere near what it should be.  People tell me "oh just wait, soon she'll just start exploding with words"  Um I'm still waiting for that explosion.
And it's not only the lack of words, but the fact that words she used to say, she no longer does!  I'd say that right now, if I only count the words she has said on her own in context in the past week; she's got about 8 words?
I've been saying it for months- there is something wrong!!  It's so incredibly frustrating to hear the same comments/advice over and over and over. 
So this Thursday she is being rescreened by Early Intervention.  I don't see how she could not qualify for services this time.  But if she doesn't qualify, I'm not playing the waiting game anymore.  Our next step will be a visit to her pediatrician for a referral to the outpatient speech therapy at Carle.  This has gone on too long and I refuse to sit back and "hope" that she gets better.
(can you tell I'm just a little bit frustrated with this?!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment