Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Snap Converting Your Cloth Diapers

Any mom who cloth diapers for awhile knows that velcro does not last.   It starts pilling and the closure tabs start curling, or in the case of a few of my diapers, going bald.  The solution is to order a velcro replacement kit and replace the velcro.  However, a sewing machine is an absolute must to do this and so are some sort of sewing skills.  I possess neither.  So I decided to convert the diaper closures to snaps.  It actually wasn't that hard to do and I figured I would share the process on here for anyone who is curious or is looking for the how-to.

Materials: snap pliers, stiletto (no not the shoe), snaps, paper, pencil, something to rip stitches
I purchased the pliers, stiletto, and snaps at JoAnn fabrics.  They have a whole new line called Babyville Boutique.  The pliers and stiletto actually came in a kit along with a small screw driver and different sized snap mounts.  They run about $20 but the cashier found a 50% off coupon for me so I got mine for $10.  The packages of snaps are $8 each. 

Step 1: Remove the velcro from the diaper.  Now I don't have a seam ripper or some fancy sewing tool to rip out stitches (my sewing kit came from the dollar store; what do you expect?) but I found small nail scissors did a pretty good job.  Just be careful not to rip the fabric as you pull out the stitches.  After the velcro is removed, pull out all the little remaining threads.
Also remove the velcro from the closure tabs.  If you choose you can remove the laundry tabs as well but they're really not hurting anything by leaving them on there so I left them.
Before I go any further, I just want to point out that when I got this diaper, it was already very well-loved (code for used) so pardon the worn out quality.
Step 2: Create a template for where the snaps will go on the diaper.  Now, the diaper tutorial I found online suggested tracing the top of the diaper onto paper, cutting it out, and measuring out where you want the snaps and marking it with a pencil.  By all means you can do it this way and the first diaper I converted, I did do it this way; it was kind of hard because I wasn't totally sure how far apart to put the snaps and what-not.  OR you can do what I did for this diaper:  I found a diaper that already had snaps, laid it under the paper, and used a crayon to make a rubbing.  Voila!
I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of that.  After you make the rubbing, go ahead and trace the top of your diaper and cut out the template (by the way, if you want to use this template multiple times,  make it out of card stock so it lasts longer).
After you cut out the template, take your stiletto and poke holes in the template.
Don't forget to make a template for the closure tabs as well!
Step 3: Place the template over your diaper and use a pencil to mark your diaper through the holes.

When you get done doing this, remove the template and you can see exactly where your snaps will go.

Step 4: Use the stiletto to poke holes in the fabric.  Now this is the tricky part because you need to poke through the outer PUL, but NOT the inner liner.  You will probably have to put your hand inside the pocket to spread the fabric apart.  Just be sure not to put a hole in your hand!  The closure tabs are easier since you stick the stiletto through the whole tab.
Step 5: Stick the prong of a snap cap through the hole.

Step 6: Place a socket (the outer socket; it has a bigger diameter than the smaller inner socket) over the prong.

Step 7: Place the snap pliers over the snap setting.  This part is kinda tricky because you have to line it up carefully in order to get the snap centered in the pliers.  Once it's lined up, squeeze the pliers hard.  But be careful- you dont' want to crack the snaps in half (which I did a few times).  I think as long as the snap is centered in the pliers you won't run the risk of breaking the snap.  Remove pliers and you should have something like this:
Step 8: Repeat steps 5-7.
Step 9: Now it's time for the closure tabs.  Stick a prong through the hole making sure the back of the snap is on the outside of the tab. 
Place the other kind of socket (smaller diameter) over the prong and use the snap pliers to press them together.  I found it was much easier to get these snaps centered in the pliers.  Then repeat on the other tab.

Step 10: Sit back and admire your work!

Now the book I looked at in JoAnn's said something about attaching an extra piece of PUL to the inside of the diaper to reinforce the snaps.  And I checked all my snap diapers and they do have this in place.  However, I forgot to do that with both of the diapers I've done so far.  I will attempt to do so on my next diaper.  I think it might be a little tricky for me since I won't be sewing it in.  But I figure I can hold it in place with some safety pins until I get some snaps in place to hold it.

2 comments: