Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's Working!

I'm very proud to say that yesterday Taylor was in cloth diapers all day!  We had no leaks and no blowouts (well we haven't had too many issues with blowouts anyway) and changing her diaper was not all that different or harder than doing disposables.  Okay, yeah cleaning the poopy ones was a little gross but I was surprised to see that most of it fell into the toilet on it's own.  We just used a plastic bag to kinda scrape off the rest (thanks Liz!).  I know that's not totally environmentally friendly but I haven't made my way over to the dollar store yet to get a cheap spatula (thanks Carissa!). 
Anyway, yesterday morning we returned all the disposable dipes that were given to me at school in exchange for some return cards.  We could only return about half to Target because of their return policy.  So when we came home, I looked online at Walmart and saw that they sell gDiapers too!  So the rest went back to Walmart.  I guess I feel kinda bad that I returned all of them since they were given to me by others, but I was able to use the return cards to help finish out our supply of gDiapers and liners.  I think I would like to get one more gpant for Taylor and I'll definitely need more liners in her size once Lucy is wearing the medium size too.  I need at least 2 more gpants for Lucy in size small.  Like I mentioned earlier, I have friend who is selling 2 small gdiapers and 6 cloth inserts for an amazing steal- I can order those on Tuesday when I get paid.  I'm not in as big a rush to get dipes for Lucy because she will probably wear disposables for the first few weeks while she's passing meconium. 

An added bonus to cloth diapers?  They give Taylor a bigger bootie so her pants fit better!  I'm really excited this is working so well.  As far as daycare goes...well we still have a ton of 'sposies so I can just send those to Ms. Monica's as needed.  I"m not sure what we'll do for Lucy once she starts going to daycare.  I did have to keep a few packages of the 'sposies because when I used my iphone app to see where they were sold around here, no stores came up which I thought was weird.  Although, one package was the old kind of Pamper's Swaddlers (w/o the dry max that their new dipes have) so I guess I can understand that.  Anyway, we'll probably just send her in those come May. 

Oh and if you're wondering about the laundry- it's seriously not bad.  The only reason I did a load yesterday was because I ran out of liners (I only have 3 and when Taylor poops it gets on the liner) so I figured since I had to wash those, I might as well wash the inserts as well.  But I was never close to running out inserts.  I think with the additional inserts I ordered, I'll probably be able to get away with doing laundry every 3-4 days.  And the added cost of detergent?  Well, considering I use 2 tsp. of Allen's detergent per load and a small amount of Ecos, I really don't think we'll be spending that much more on detergent.

So, not that I would consider myself an expert, but if you have any questions about gDiapers, let me know.  So far, we are loving them!

No comments:

Post a Comment