Tuesday, February 22, 2011

15 Month Check Up

Ahh yes, time for another Taylor update.  I know how anxiously you all have been waiting for one.  =)

Weight: 18 pounds 3.5 oz
Height: 28.75 inches

Conclusion: still a peanut
I have more to say on these stats but I'll get to that later.

Now for the past 2 months I have been worried about Taylor's language development.  I thought for sure that once she nailed this walking thing, the words would just come flying out of her mouth.  Ehhhhh it's been more like a very slow dribble.  Don't get me wrong- we hear lots of gibberish. And we just know what she's telling us is of the utmost importance.
Now I have to give Tayor some credit.  She does have a few words under her belt.  She says Daddy (and actually says it when she looks at Walker).  I can get her to repeat mama sometimes but I guess getting my attention isn't as important.  =)  She also says doggie and kitty.  She still says go but not in context like the other words.  Oh and we still get "mmmmmm!" while she's eating.
Now her non-verbal communication is something I'm proud of.  I think I've mentioned it before, but she pats her tummy when you say tummy.  She'll go get her Bitty Baby if you ask her where her baby is.  She dances when we say "dance."  "Yaaaay!" is met with clapping.  And recently she has started sticking her arms in the air when we say "soooo big!"  (thank you Ms. Monica for working on that with her!).  And she also blows air when we're about to feed her something that she thinks may be hot.  In fact, last night she was watching Walker pour sauce over our dinner and the pan was steaming.  She kept looking at the steam and blowing air.  So cute!

Physical development:  We think she's trying to start running.  She'll get up on her tiptoes and walk really fast.  It's quite funny...until she fall flat on her face.

Cognitive development: We finally can stack 2 blocks!  Oh yes, that was something she should have been doing at 10 months.  Oh well.  Better late than never.  And she still loves books.  Loves loves loves them.  Now while we play in her bedroom before bed, she'll go over to her bookshelf and pull books out instead of playing with her toys.  I'm not going to argue with that!  She seems to have a preference for non-fiction books.  I find that very interesting since as a teacher, I've heard over and over how I need to give my students more non-fiction books to read and that boys especially prefer them.  I wonder if there have been any studies done with babies to determine whether they like non-fiction or fiction books better.   Hmmmmm......

Okay back to those stats....the doctor said something kind of odd at her appointment.  Basically she told us to feed Taylor whatever we wanted without worrying about calorie or fat content.  Now I wasn't at the appointment so I asked Walker does this mean she's concerned about her weight?  Walker said no but her weight has dropped to the 1st percentile.  I don't know- why would a doctor say something like that if she wasn't concerned?  The thing is, we don't really worry about that stuff.  I give Taylor dessert almost every night and I'm pretty sure she gets dessert for lunch at Ms. Monica's too.   And Taylor is a great eater!  I don't get why she's not gaining weight as fast as other kids.  So I need some ideas on foods we can give her that will help her put on weight.  I'm not really thrilled at the thought of loading her up with fat and sugar.  Taylor's not big on veggies, she will eat some fruits, but she really loves carbs, protein, and dairy. 

3 comments:

  1. I'd definitely give him a call just to get some clarification if you want, I totally know what you mean about what guys think the Dr. said and forgetting stuff, etc.

    But otherwise, I wouldn't fret, like you said she's always been a peanut and I think they/we only worry if the babe has dropped more than 15 percent between visits. So if she's always been like around 5% for instance, her being 1 now isn't cause for concern.

    That said, I'll throw out some suggestions. First I'd always do milk and not water (unless she wants some in her crib at night or something), and NO juice. Whole milk of course and you can even make "double milk" which is some milk powder mixed into milk to boost the cals and protein. Second I would maybe keep track for a few days to see what exactly she IS eating, sometimes the practice of writing it down can reveal some things to you, you may of thought she ate a bunch of crackers but she really just threw them on the floor for instance. To add some calories in, butter, avocado, nut butters (on each cracker), mixing olive oil into her cereal, etc. Do peanut butter instead of syrup on waffles for instance. Those are a bit healthier ways to add cals without adding sugar and fried stuff. You can also limit the amount of liquids she is eating AT meals and have her eat her food first (sometimes drinking the liquids "fills up" their tummies and they don't eat as much), high protein and high fat stuff first(which don't think of it as "bad" provided it's good types of fats), carbs next, then fruit and then veggies. You can always get back to having her eat veggies as priority after she gets her growth/weight a little more stabilized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should be worrying at all! Taylor sounds like she is doing fabulously! Auggie fully caught on to signs around 14 months, although he knew a couple before that, and it took a bit longer for verbal language to pick up. Kids learn different things at different speeds. Auggie only just learned how to build 'twowers' with blocks this summer, making him 18 or 19 months. And while I don't have any experience in the peanut-sized kid department, I don't think you should worry. I have a friend out here who has two daughters about 18 months apart, and they wear the same size clothes with the oldest at 3 years and youngest at 1 1/2. Lucy may surprise you. :) ... I think you're doing all right and your girls will be just the way God made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Val! I know I'm just being a paranoid mama. =)

    ReplyDelete