Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Let's Get Crafty!

Okay I've been on Pinterest for a few months now and I recently tried 2 more ideas I've seen on there.  The first is a headband holder.  I love wearing headbands and I needed a better way to store them.   So when I saw this
I knew it would be perfect.  To be perfectly honest, my headbands sat on a plain undecorated oatmeal container for at least a month before I finally got around to buying the materials to finish the project.
I bought some scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby.  I picked out paper that was one color but had a nice texture to it.  If you use an oatmeal container, you will need 2 12X12 sheets to do this.  I recommend getting paper that is really pliable.  Sometimes scrapbook paper is really stiff and I don't think it would work as well if you used the stiff thick paper.
Anyway, my headband holder turned out pretty well (except getting the paper to stay glued to the top of the lid proved tricky) so I decided to make one for Lucy as well.  For hers, I used a formula can.  I must say, this worked MUCH better.  I only needed 1 sheet of scrapbook paper and I think the lid turned out nicer.  The bonus of using these containers is you can store hairbands and other things inside the container.  Here are my finished products:
It's kinda hard to see mine, but I used a dark brown paper that has an "alligator" texture to it.  Lucy's is easier to see.  The formula cans aren't as tall as oatmeal cans but they are about the same diameter.  So if anyone reading this would like me to save them a formula can, just let me know.  I actually have a shorter one that's empty already.

And the other project I found  on Pinterest is a holiday craft.  I'm not even going to show you what it was supposed to look like; ours didn't really turn out that well.  But the idea is to use handprints to create a Christmas tree.  I bought a small canvas and some finger paint and did my best in getting the girls to cooperate (if you do this with young children, use washable paint!).  Anyway, here is our Christmas tree picture:
Taylor's tree is on the left and Lucy's is on the right
Oh yeah, I sprinkled iridescent glitter over the paint before it dried.  Our trees may not be perfect, but they are sparkly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment