Saturday, December 17, 2011

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye....

....to my Sympony pump (and oh yes I did just sing that in my head and now you are too; nah-nah!).   But I had to pack her (it's a breast pump, it's female by default) the other day and bring her back to Carle Medical Supply.  Here she is, all ready to go.....
Bye-bye old friend....it's been a great 9 months.  ::sniff sniff::  (who cries over a pump, honestly?)
But on to the real reason for this post:  As Laura and Rachel correctly guessed yesterday (10 cool points to both of you, picked fresh this morning), my EPing ticker is no longer on display as I am no longer an EPing mom.  I like to summarize things with numbers so let's get down to business shall we?

8.5 months: amount of time I EP'd.  Actually it was exactly 8.5 months because I started on April 1st and ended December 15th.  (well okay, yesterday and today I had to use my manual pump because I was a little uncomfortable, but I'm not counting that)

789 hours, 27 minutes: Time I actually sat at the pump.  Yes I have it all recorded on my iphone (again, that Total Baby app was the best $5 I spent in the app store ever!).   Or we could say 47,367 minutes, or even 2,842,020 seconds, which equals almost 33 days.  Clearly I had nothing better to do yesterday than play with all these numbers (proof once again that I'm married to a nerd- it rubs off on me!).

112 hours, 23 minutes: How much time I spent pumping during the month of May, which is the highest total for one month.  December comes in at only a piddly 6 hours, 21 minutes. 

5,548: Roughly the number of ounces I produced.  This is a VERY rough estimate as I was good about keeping track of my output the first few months and then somewhere in the middle of June I apparently got lazy.  And in case you're wondering that 5,548 oz could fill 86.68 milk jugs.  Oh my gosh, could you imagine a milk jug full of breast milk?

345: How many ounces I have in my freezer stash.  Oh man, remember the day I hit 100 ounces?  I think I nearly cried!  Now I've only reached this high of a number because Lucy has been getting a lot of formula for the past 3-4 weeks.  But that 345 oz is divided into 91 containers so I'm very happy to say that I have enough breast milk for Lucy to get a bottle of breast milk every day until she is a year old.  That was my goal from the very get go: breast milk for a year (I just never said how much).

1,000: that is about how much money I think I've spent on all of this.  I mean the hospital pump was $75/month (I did get one month free), plus I bought my own pump (which then I resold), nursing bras, herbs, nursing tanks, pump parts, herbs, nursing tea, lanolin, herbs, storage bags, steam cleaning bags, and.... oh yeah, herbs.  I know I mentioned herbs a lot, but I seriously tried so many different kinds to help my supply....

13: How many different places I've pumped.  Now that doesn't really sound like a lot, especially when I feel like I've pumped just about everywhere!  But I counted my car as just one place.  Now I have pumped in many different locations while in my car, but I can't remember all of them so I'm not even going to count.  However if I did count those, I think this number would be much higher.  I think the 2 strangest locations were a party room at the Decatur Children's Museum (class field trip) and the back warehouse room of the former Hobby Lobby building (volunteered at the One Week Boutique sale).

----:  Well, try as you might, you just can't put a number on a baby satisfied on mommy's milk

3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! You are such a trooper for sticking with it for so long. Lucy is one lucky little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AMAZING!!!! This is an inspiring post! I started looking at milk jugs totally differently after I pumped and 87 is like... WHOMG amazin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job mama!! What an beautiful and inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete