Friday, November 11, 2011

Update On Taylor

I realized today that I never updated after my last (rather whiny and ranting) post about Taylor's language development.
So last Friday, 2 ladies from Early Intervention came to our house to do the evaluation.  One was a speech language pathologist (SLP) and the other one...well I can't remember her official title but she looks at children more globally; basically all areas of development. 
So the two ladies (of course I can't remember their names) spent about 45 minutes playing with Taylor, and asking me questions.  The SLP did an oral exam of Taylor's mouth to make sure everything looked good.  Taylor actually did very well with that part- she didn't cry at all!
What they concluded is that Taylor is behind in language and cognitive development.  However, they said that her cognitive functioning is at 18 mos. but that score is largely affected by language and since her language (both receptive and expressive) function was at about 15 mos. they're not too concerned about the cognitive score.  She actually came up advanced in fine motor skills.  That one didn't surprise me really- Taylor knows her way around the iPhone apps and she has a great pencil grip.  She actually prefers to color with regular crayons rather than the chunky ones we have bought for her.
So what does this mean?  Well her delay in language is 35% which is just high enough to qualify for services.  So as soon as they find an SLP to provide services she'll get therapy (at our daycare provider's home most likely) once a week.  She has a Individual Family Service Plan which is like an IEP.  She has a goal of increasing her vocabulary by 100-150 words in 6 months.  That sounds like so many right now!!  But I'm hoping with the intense services she'll meet that goal easily. 
In the short time since the previous post, I feel like Taylor has increased her vocabulary a little.  She is saying more animal names and sounds and she is repeating more words in general.  I'm also very proud that she knows the names of some letters already! 
I'm not sure exactly why we've started seeing more gains lately other than I know Walker and I are being much more focused on language with her.  We've looked at a few resources for parents of "late talkers" and they've been very helpful. 
Taylor's language delay still bothers me a bit here and there but I have been feeling more at peace with it knowing that she's going to get the help she needs and that even in the time we've been focusing our energies on language activities with her, she's made progress. I'm thinking that with the therapy and our support she will make great strides and get caught up in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment