Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Taylor Turns Two!

Weight: 21.4 lbs
Height: 31.25 in.

I was kind of surprised the doctor didn't comment on this.  All she said was "well now she's at the 1% for weight."   I didn't ask her if I should be worried....maybe I should have.   But I guess I think that if the doctor was that worried, wouldn't she have told me that Taylor needs to gain weight?  Or we need to give her some sort of dietary supplement?  I get the feeling that our doctor doesn't like to bring up things that could be wrong with children.  And the more I think about it, the more I start to worry again about how little she has grown.  Okay, moving on before I drive myself crazy.

Developmentally, I actually know exactly where Taylor's at.  Her language (both expressive and receptive) is at about a 15 month level.  The good thing is, this qualifies her for services and hopefully those start soon.  And I'm apologizing right now if I've already shared this on here....I know I composed a blog post about the results of her evaluation in my head; I just can't remember for the life of me if I actually posted it.  Anyway, since the evaluation, I feel Taylor has made some big improvements in her language.  She repeats more words now and she's starting to use more and more on her own in context.  And we've even had a few phrases come out.  Like this morning, I was taking a shower and she came to the door of the shower and I said "Hi Taylor!" and she distinctly said "Hi Mommy!"  That may not seem like a big deal, but I have been waiting two years for that, so to me, it was huge.
Now even though Taylor is delayed in her speech, she does know several letters.  I kid you not- she will see letters and start naming them.  So far the ones she absolutely knows for sure are i, s, o, t, and y.  She also is getting better at a, b, j, m, q, u, and z.   Taylor loves looking at her alphabet book and she will sit down and look at the back inside cover (where all the letters are) and she'll start pointing to the ones she knows and saying what they are.  And last night on our way down Prospect Ave, she was naming letters that she saw in the signs of the stores and restaurants.  I cannot get enough of seeing her do this.   As a reading teacher, it makes me very proud!
Taylor loves to do many other things: coloring (with a very good pencil grip by the way; we don't even bother with toddler crayons anymore- she likes the regular ones), twirling around and laughing hysterically (Ring Around the Rosy is huge in our house), puzzles, playing her little keyboard book, and singing.  Right now, her favorite songs are ABC, Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Row, Row, Row Your Boat so I get to sing them over and over and over....
Taylor is still quite the picky eater.  In fact, I feel like she's become even more picky.  It is so hard to get vegetables in her!  I actually have resorted to feeding her baby food a few times because she will happily scarf down purees. I'm sure her picky eating has something to do with her size.  It's not just that she is picky, but she just doesn't eat a lot in general.  For example, most mornings we give her a piece of toast or a frozen waffle (okay not the best breakfast but it has to be something quick and easy so we can all get out the door on time).  She usually does not finish eating either of those things.  If anyone has insight on getting your child to eat more, please share it!  Otherwise I might have to resort to toddler formula or something!

And lastly, the pictures.  Have you ever tried to get a 2 year old to sit still for pictures?  Practically impossible.  I tell her "say cheese!" and she'll say "cheeeese" and run towards the camera.  So this was the best I could do...=)




No comments:

Post a Comment