Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Father's Day

So I totally meant to post this on Sunday and now it's Wednesday.  Better late than never, I suppose.  I just wanted to share what the girls and I made for Walker for Father's Day.
Of course my idea came from Pinterest. 






This is the picture I pinned about 1 month ago (so cute right?) and unfortunately, about 2 weeks ago when I actually clicked on the pin itself it took me to a different pin on Pinterest by some girl that I don't even know and I'm pretty sure was not the original pinner of this.  Clearly there are people out there who still don't understand how to correctly pin things on Pinterest.  So I was pretty bummed because I didn't know where to find the original site.  I figured I could make something in photoshop but I wasn't sure how it would turn out.
Then, about a week before Father's Day, I was randomly looking through pins (not of people I follow) and I found it again!  And it linked to the correct site!  Eureka!  This is the blog that has not only the "how-to" but also ALL sorts of free files to customize your own Father's Day collage (seriously, any name you have for a male father-figure in your life, this lady has it). 
So I had the correct site, now I needed the pictures.  This was interesting.  Taylor was a challenge because when I put the chalkboard next to her she just wanted to name all the letters on it.  I actually managed to get a few good ones of her though.  I quickly checked the photos on my camera and realized that stupidly I had paid so much attention to Taylor through the lens that I forgot to look at the chalkboard.  And there was a nice ray of sunlight hitting the chalkboard that obscured part of a few words.  D'oh!  So I repositioned Taylor (checked the chalkboard through the lens) and tried to get a few more but by this point, Taylor was done.  So I stupidly thought "well I can somehow merge the good chalkboard image onto one with a bad chalkboard image."  I continued on with Lucy's pictures; she did great of course (and no random sunlight glares either!). 
So I opened the images in Lightroom and fixed some basic things and then I sent them over to Photoshop to try and place the "good" chalkboard over the "bad chalkboard.  Ummmmm yeah that didn't happen.  ::sigh::  So I hauled Taylor outside and sat her on the porch and thankfully she hammed it up and I got some good shots to choose from.  The anal side of me was irritated that the background of the pictures wouldn't be the same but oh well. 
So, with pictures edited and ready, it was time to make a collage with the file I got from the site.  Now I had another problem....the file says "Daddy, we love you because...." and on the chalkboard I wrote "he" instead of "you."  UGH!  I was not about to reshoot the pictures!  So I opened Photoshop again and luckily was able to copy and paste and make my own file (and yes I totally color-coordinated it with the girls' outfits).  Phew!  So after all that (are you bored yet?  Sorry...) here is the final product:


I actually like my version better because it uses hot pink ;)

Happy (late) Father's Day to all the dads out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment