Monday, May 30, 2011

Taylor is 18 Months

Stats:
Weight: 19 lbs 10 oz
Height: 30 inches

Still a shrimp, nothing new there.  The nice thing is her summer clothes should probably work well for Lucy next summer. 

Development: Taylor has learned how to go up stairs (despite us not having stairs in the house) and she can go down them if we hold her hand.  She loves to climb but thankfully she doesn't try and climb everything in the house.  She also runs a little (mostly away from us, of course) and sometimes I catch her walking backwards.  It's really funny because she'll be all slow and cautious about it.  We're working on our throwing arm as everything she throws tends to go backwards.  But I'm not in a big rush to have her start throwing toys.
As I've suspected for a few months, Taylor is behind in her language development.  Being a teacher, I'm secretly paranoid she's going to have autism or something.  However, we have a great pediatrician who referred us to Early Intervention of Champaign County.  So sometime soon, this whole team of people will come to our house and evaluate Taylor in all areas of development.  If she is more than 30% behind in an area, she'll qualify for therapeutic services.  Of course I don't really understand where we went "wrong" with her language and maybe we didn't.  I mean, we talk to her all the time (you should hear the one-sided conversations I have with her in the car) and we read to her every single day.  I don't know what else we could be doing.  And who knows, maybe one of these days she'll just start exploding with words.  One can hope......
As I've always said, she comprehends more than she says.  But now I'm thinking maybe that's lacking too.  It's so hard to accept that she's not developing on track because of course I blame myself.  I'm trying not to drive myself crazy by asking "what could I have done differently?"  I'm quite anxious to have her evaluation done and see what we can do to help her.
I'll have to post an update once we know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment