Friday, April 8, 2011

1 Month

April 8th means Lucy is 1 month (and 1 day) old!  She had her check up this morning and is doing very well!
Weight: 8 lbs, 14.5 oz.
Height: 21.5 inches

So it may look like she's only gained a little over a pound in a month.  But, let's remember she didn't gain back her birth weight until 2 weeks ago.  So really, she's gained a pound in the past 10 days.  Our lactation consultant (our pediatrician is out on medical leave) was very impressed.  Also impressive was Lucy's ability to not only pick her head up while on her tummy but also push up on her arms.  Apparently this is a 2 month skill. 
Another "advanced" skill she's acquired is smiling.  She doesn't do it a lot yet but Walker and I have gotten her to smile in response to us quite a few times.
Now I haven't done her "official" one month pictures yet.  I can take them but we are in the process of rebuilding our home computer.  I did take some of the pictures I've taken recently and put them on my laptop with Picasa but editing just isn't the same and I can't make the pictures look the way I want using it.  I will try and take the pictures tomorrow and I guess I can always use Walker's laptop to edit them since we loaded Lightroom on his computer while ours is down.
And what is little miss eating these days?  Well I'm proud to say she's still getting mostly breastmilk. . . just not from the "tap" as I like to say.  Yes, I have moved to exclusive pumping.  Nursing was simply way too frustrating and time consuming for me.  Now granted I do spend a lot of time pumping (on average 3 1/2 hours per day) but since I made my own hands free pumping bra (as in cut 2 slits in an old sports bra) I can multi task while I pump.  So I can feed Lucy or work on the computer.  Heck I even fed Taylor her lunch the other day while pumping.  Right now I'm pumping 15-16 oz per day.  Obviously that is not enough for Lucy but it's close as we only give her between 4-6 oz of formula per day.  It makes me feel good I can provide 75% of her nutritional needs.  I realize as she gets bigger, she will end up eating more formula but that's okay.  I really hope to EP longer than I did with Taylor.  My ultimate goal is a year.  I know that takes a LOT of dedication.  So I'm not focusing on that.  Instead I'm aiming through the end of the summer.  It's easier for me to focus on shorter term goals. 
And I leave you with a picture....hopefully "official" (as in nice) pictures are coming soon.

(no, her eyes are not brown...they just look that way in this picture for some reason)

1 comment:

  1. She is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you!!! You can do it, whatever you set your mind too, small steps! :)

    ReplyDelete