Thursday, September 23, 2010

Paranoid Moms Unite!

I don't think of myself as a paranoid mom; in fact I think I'm pretty chill about most things.  But there are a few things that really get me going.  The major one being Taylor's weight.  I know, I know; it's way too early to worry about her weight but I can't help it.  She's just so stinkin' little  and I can't figure out who she gets that from! 
Anyway, over the weekend we weighed her on our scale and it indicated she had only gained 2 oz in the past month.  So of course, I kinda freak out thinking there's something wrong with her (especially since Walker was diagnosed so recently).  Since it was a Saturday it's not like I could call the doctor so I turn to the internet.  Well that was a mistake.  I found some website (it looked very legit) that said between 5-12 months babies should be getting around 850 cals/day.  Now if I had stopped to think about this I would have dismissed it.  I don't understand why a baby who barely moves (5 months) needs the same nutrition as a baby who's probably constantly on the go (12 months).  But anyway, I didn't think of that and I immediately started keeping track of Taylor's calorie intake.  That was another mistake as I saw she wasn't getting anywhere close to 850.  It was more like 600-650.  I was trying to brush it off but it was driving me crazy.  So then yesterday when my sitter told me she refused her bottle all day (but still ate her solid foods) and then last night when she continued to reject the bottle (not completely; just didn't drink as much) I really got worried and called the ped. nurse.  Here is where I sing the praises of Christie Clinic.  The nurse said I could bring her (no appointment needed) to get her weighed just to check.  So today we did just that.  And then the nurse stayed and talked with me a bit about my concerns.  I definitely feel better!  Also, the nurse who I saw through my pregnancy (who then transferred to peds.) came in just to see me and Taylor.  I thought that was so sweet of her to come say hi.  And now I'm sidetracking but when I told her I was pregnant again, she said I should tell Walker to stay at school more- HA!  I totally agreed with her.  Tee hee hee.
Anyway, everything seems to be fine and thankfully Taylor did take 4 oz when we got home; not as much as she usually takes but it's something.  Hopefully she'll take more later; I don't want her to lose any weight.  =P

No comments:

Post a Comment