Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lots of "S" Things!

I realized that I have a lot of things to talk about that start with S, hence the title. 

Snuggling: Taylor has started snuggling her stuffed animals and it is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen.  She holds them near her neck, tilts her head to the side, and squeezes the life out of them!  She also has started to snuggle on me- thankfully she doesn't squeeze the life out of me!  Mostly, she just will put her head into my neck but it is so sweet.
Another new activity Taylor does with her stuffed animals is wrestling!  I know she picked this up from her sitter's.  She will launch herself on top of her stuffed animals and pin them on the ground.  And I hate to admit it but sometimes there is some humping....I don't think she really knows what she's doing though- haha!

Sleep Training: The past couple of weeks I realized that I was fed up with how we got Taylor to sleep.  We are lucky in that her naps are absolutely no problem; it's the nighttime that didn't work.  I was completely overwhelmed by all the methods so I called my most reliable source: my sister.  My sister used the Ferber method with both of her kids and I know Walker's older siblings did too.  The Ferber method is very similar to Cry It Out- in fact I can't see the difference between the two.  Anyway, for those not familiar, you do the bedtime routine (same routine every single night!) and then lay the kid down to sleep.  You wait 5-10 minutes from the point the child starts crying (depending on age).  If they are still crying, go in, reassure them that you are still there, you still love them, and then walk out.  Do not pick up the baby.  Then you wait 10-15 minutes from the point of crying.  Go in, reassure, walk out.  Then wait 15-20 minutes.  Same routine until baby goes to sleep.  Okay, I will be the first to say it- you have to be really hard hearted on this.  It is incredibly painful to listen to your child cry and not respond.  The only thing that got me through the first night was reminding myself that she was safe, warm, dry, and full; she didn't need anything from me.   I will say that each night has been better- she has cried less and I've become a little more immune to the crying.  And tonight (night 4) I didn't have to go in at all.  Not to say she didn't cry- she did.  But she finished before the 10 min. was up. 
I am not saying this method is perfect for everyone- it's just working really well for us.  And I know this is not hurting our bond as she still is very happy to see me in the morning.  Plus, all of my nieces and nephews are incredibly well-adjusted kids who love their parents very much.  Phew!

Steps: As in first steps!  Yes that's right today Taylor took her first steps all by herself.  I guess we should finish baby proofing the house...

I thought I had more S things to share....oh well!  Maybe I'll think of them later...

No comments:

Post a Comment