Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lucy is ONE!

2 weeks ago was the actual birthday (March 7th) but I wanted to wait until I had her pictures done before I wrote a post.  And that meant waiting for her t-shirt to come.  I got a few okay pictures in last weekend and I had intentions of getting more during the week but then I was gone at the Illinois Reading Conference for 2 nights and when I got home on Friday afternoon I went into party mode (prepping for it that is).  So I didn't get any more pictures until her party and I just finished editing those.  [/sidetrack]

Weight: 19 lbs 1 oz
Height: 27.5 inches

I don't think I'll ever have very tall girls, but that's okay.  And obviously Lucy doesn't have any weight concerns like Taylor.  She's my little chunker and I love it!  Speaking of food....
Lucy is slowly making the transition to table food.  This is somewhat hard since she only has 3 teeth (there is a 4th one that is almost through).  She has been gnawing on her finger in the back of  her mouth so that makes me wonder if her molars will start coming in.  That would be helpful.  Still despite not having very many teeth she's doing really well chewing up the food we give her.  Right now she loves pancakes, cheerios (who doesn't?), french fries, and yogurt.  She will also happily eat any fruit or veggie puree (yessss! a child who eats vegetables!), and just recently we've started giving her meat (tonight's chicken was a big success).  I'm so glad she's not a picky eater.  Lucy drinks a lot of milk like Taylor and she still gets a bottle of breastmilk at night.  Although, we are on our last container of bags so I'm thinking we have less than 2 weeks on the breastmilk.

Sleep is pretty much the same.  Some nights Lucy will sleep all night and other nights she'll wake up for various reasons.  The most aggravating thing is when she wakes up at 5:30 or 6 on the weekends.

I do believe Lucy's vocabulary is "exploding."  She is starting to repeat more and more words that she hears.  Right now she will say "hi, mama, ball, no, dada, bye-bye, up, doggie, Superwhy," and most recently "out."  whew!  And believe it or not she is also starting to say some letter names.  She doesn't really call any letters by their correct name but when we look at alphabet books she will start saying letter names that she knows.  It is such a relief to know that she is not going to have a language delay like Taylor.  You know I think part of it is that Walker and I are both so much more aware of different language development techniques and we use them so much with Taylor that Lucy has picked up on a lot of words too.

So since Lucy has been working so much on her language, her physical development has been kind of on the backburner.  Right now she's working on standing by herself.  She's getting more and more brave about letting go of things and balancing.  But Lucy definitely has no interest in walking.  Anytime we try to hold her hands to get her to walk, she buckles her legs.  Considering she gets into enough things just by crawling, I'm okay with her not walking yet.

Right now, Lucy loves playing with puzzles.  She doesn't really know how to get the pieces back in the right place without help but she does seem to understand that is what you're supposed to do with a puzzle.  Lucy also likes coloring chewing on crayons.  She has tried coloring on the page a few times but it is difficult for her.  Oh and anything that has buttons and noise are a big hit.  I've had to break up a few arguments over Taylor's laptop.  And of course books are a big hit.  Lucy loves to point to the pictures and wait for me to give her the word for the object.

Okay, enough writing; it's picture time!
(the ones in the long sleeves are from last weekend, the other ones are from the party; still can't believe she got to wear only a t-shirt and tutu outside in March in IL!)






1 comment: