Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tuesday Temptations

My life is so exciting that I forgot it was Tuesday.  Okay, not really.
Only one recipe for you this week, but I think you'll like it.

Mexican Chicken


Prep Time: 5 min.         Cook Time: 20-30 min.       Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 pound chicken breast, cubed
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
green onions to garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place chicken pieces into plastic bag with taco seasoning.  Toss to coat.  Saute chicken until  mostly done.  Place chicken in greased 8x8 casserole dish.  Add the enchilada sauce and toss to coat the chicken.  Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.  Bake for 10-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Sprinkle with green onions.

Review:
Now I modified this recipe slightly from the original.  The original recipe calls for only 1 tsp. of taco seasoning.  Also, it says to saute the chicken before you cut it up.  However, I highly disagree with only 1 tsp of taco seasoning.  I mean, if I'm going to open a packet of seasoning, I will use the whole packet thank you very much.  Also, by cutting up the chicken before sauteing it (and using a plastic bag to shake it all up) you are ensuring more surface area of chicken gets coated with taco seasoning, resulting in higher flavor.
 In terms of ease, it doesn't get much simpler than this recipe.  The prep work is minimal and you don't have to keep a close eye on it once it's baking. 
I served this over black bean quinoa and it was delicious.  If you haven't tried using quinoa as a rice substitute yet, I highly recommend it.  It is expensive (expect to pay almost $5 for a 1 lb bag at Meijer) but it is incredibly good for you and I really like the taste and texture of it. 

Also just wanted to add, if you're not growing your own green onions on the window sill yet, do it!  I saw it on Pinterest when I first joined and I was skeptical, but it really does work.  When you get a bunch of green onions, chop them up but save the bulbs/roots.  Plunk them in a glass of water and keep it in a place that gets lots of light.  Then, whenever you need some green onions, just snip some of the shoots off.  As long as you don't destroy the bulbs, the shoots will keep regenerating and you'll never have to buy green onions again!

No comments:

Post a Comment